World War 1 – Author Liz Ford
DISCLAIMER – I have not used original documents to compile these biographies, but mainly the internet, and on- line information, newspapers, and word of mouth etc. I therefore do not guarantee the accuracy of the information given. Liz Ford
Arthur Joseph Clay 1870-1915
Arthur Joseph Clay was the first of the men connected to Newborough to die in the First World War, but he did not die on the battlefield.
Arthur was born on 29 April 1870 at Stapenhill House, Stapenhill, (Stapenhill Gardens are the gardens to the now demolished house). He was the eldest son of Charles John Clay (a barrister, JP and director of Bass Ratcliff & Gretton, Brewers, of Burton) and “Aggie” (Agnes Lucy) née Arden, from Longcroft Hall, Yoxall.
The Clays were originally bankers and brewers in Burton. Before coming to Stapenhill they had lived at Foremark Hall (1861 Census) and previous to that at Piercefield Park, near Chepstow (where Henry Clay, Arthur Clay’s grandfather, founded the Chepstow Racecourse)
Arthur had three younger brothers –
Gerard Arden b1871
Ernest Charles b1872
Wilfred Henry b1874
(a few days after Wilfred was born their mother died).
In the 1871 census Arthur is at Stapenhill House, and again in 1881, with his widowed father and three brothers (and 8 staff)
Photo from www.burton-on-trent.org.uk
(note from Robin Clay – the figures on the steps could well be the Clay brothers)
After the death of his mother his father Charles married Elizabeth Teasdale Smith in 1883. She was born in Alnwick, Northumberland. She had formerly been governess or housekeeper to the Bott family at Coton Hall near Hanbury, and had possibly been Charles’ housekeeper at some point also.
Charles and Elizabeth had two daughters – Elizabeth Mildred b1886 and Adelaide Hilda b1887. Adelaide later married Henry Clifford, who also died in WWI. Elizabeth sadly died very shortly after the laying of the foundation stone of All Saints church, Newborough (18 September 1899) at the age of 13. The tower was dedicated to her.
In the 1891 Census Arthur is resident at Hollybush, aged 20 and listed as an Oxford Undergraduate
Photo Liz Ford
Arthur was educated at Harrow, whence he went on to New College, Oxford.
He matriculated in 1889, aged 19. He also achieved fourth class honours in Jurisprudence* in 1892, and had the degrees of BA and MA conferred on him on 18 June 1896. (Note – the degree of MA could be conferred seven years after matriculation without any further study or residence required)
He is still at Hollybush in 1901, with his father, step- mother, brother Wilfred and sister Adelaide and 17 staff. Arthur is a now a director of Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton of Burton upon Trent.
Note * Jurisprudence – “The study, knowledge or science of Law
BASS, RATCLIFF AND GRETTON – BURTON UPON TRENT
From Staffordshire Past Track
1827 Michael Bass Senior died and his son, another Michael succeeded to the leadership of Bass & Co. He renewed the Ratcliff partnership and brought in John Gretton, creating the company of Bass, Ratcliff and Gretton as it traded in the 19th century.
1839 The opening of the railway through Burton led to Burton becoming pre-eminent as a brewing town.
1870s Bass, Ratcliff and Gretton accounted for one third of Burton’s output.
1884 Michael Bass died.
1888 The company became a public limited company.
Early in the 20th century, in a declining market, many Burton breweries closed down. The numbers fell from twenty in 1900 to eight in 1928.
1927 Worthingtons merged with Bass, Ratcliff and Gretton, ending a long standing rivalry between two of the town’s major brewers, forming Bass and Worthington. Worthington continued to brew their own beer.
From Grace’s Guide
Arthur invented a system of shorthand and this was published in 1898 by Bemrose & Sons and called ‘A Manual of Linear Shorthand – An Original Scientific Alternating System’. The book sold for 1/-
(note, reproduction copies are still available on Amazon, sadly no longer at the original price!)
He was a J.P. for Staffordshire in 1904, but evidently did not appear on the bench very frequently. He was also active in politics.
ALL SAINTS CHURCH, NEWBOROUGH
When Newborough church was built he donated £100 towards the cost and supported many church and village events.
‘A. J. Clay Esq. has added to his former kindness by giving some more photographs of the children taken after the last concert. These are to be sold for the benefit of the School. They are wonderfully good and clear. By the time this appears, it is probable all will have been disposed of. Our best thanks to him.’
Newborough Parish Magazine January 1899
On the organ is noted –
To the glory of God/ and affectionate memory of their fathers
CHARLES JOHN CLAY and LORENZO KIRKPATRICK HALL
this organ for many years at HOLLYBUSH
is presented and enlarged by ARTHUR JOSEPH CLAY
and re-erected in this place by EDWARD KIRKPATRICK HALL
September 27 1913
RYKNIELD ENGINE COMPANY
Arthur was one of the promoters of the Ryknield Motor Company Limited; (in Burton) a syndicate whose building works were later taken over by Baguley Cars Ltd.
The Ryknield Engine Company was set up by the Clays, Arthur, Charles, Gerald and Wilfred plus Baron Burton, William Worthington and Robert Ratcliff (all prominent in the brewing trade) The company was registered 25 February 1902 and the original directors Arthur Clay and William Worthington, with Major Baguley manager from 1 July 1902.
A new factory was built at Shobnall, Burton upon Trent, next to the then Midland Railway, and 600 vehicles annually were produced (steam, and light cars). The petrol cars were produced as a 10 hp Ryknield and then 15 hp and 20 hp versions followed. In 1905 the company went into liquidation, and the assets sold to Wilfred Clay’s new Ryknield Motor Company. This company too eventually failed and was disposed of to Baguley Locomotive
Source Burton Daily Mail 25.11.1975
photo Martin Wroughton
Arthur’s brother, Gerard Arden Clay, then of Hollybush Hall, registered a car at Burton upon Trent in July 1904. The car was a 10 hp Rykenild (sic). It was a four seater, the body blue with primrose lines and primrose wheels. It was 17 cwt and for private use. The number is FA62.
Source Register of Motor Cars. Burton upon Trent Library. D29/1/1
(Note. The first car recorded, FA1, was registered on 21 December 1903 to Mr. George Frederick Reading, of Nunnely House, Burton upon Trent, a Wolsey.)
In 1905 Arthur took part in the first ever Isle of Man Tourist Trophy race. (It remains the oldest motor race still being held today, more usually now run at Silverstone) He was ranked 14th out of 18 finishers (42 cars started the race). He drove a Ryknield car at an average speed of 25.40 mph and took 8hrs. 11mins. 44.20secs (the winner being John Napier, in an Arrol-Johnson, with a speed of 33.90 mph giving a time of 6hrs 9min) The race was run over 6 laps of the Highlands (Highroads) course which was 52.15 miles in length, with 420+ bends.
Arthur inherited Holly Bush on his father’s death in 1910, but sold it to the Hignets, as he was by then living at Grangewood, near Overseal, Leicestershire/Derbyshire border.
Arthur married, at the age of 35, on 10 May 1905 in Lichfield Cathedral to Bridget Parker‑Jervis, who was then 30. They moved to Grangewood, Netherseal in Leicestershire, and had two daughters – Evelyn Agnes b1906, Doris Muriel b1907 (who died in 1909), and two sons – Charles John Jervis b1910 (he became a banker) and Henry Arthur b1913 (who was a farmer)
Regiment cap badge
THE NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGIMENT
Formed at Hanley on 1 November 1914 as a second line unit.
Became part of 2nd Staffordshire Brigade in 2nd North Midland Division. Moved to Luton area by January 1915 and in July went on to St. Albans
Moved to Ireland in April 1916 to quell disturbances.
August 1915: formation became the 176th Brigade, 59th (2nd North Midland) Division.
Moved in January 1917 to Fovant and landed at Le Havre 25 February 1917.
6 February 1918: absorbed into 1/5th Bn. and ceased to exist.
Formed at Hanley on 1 November 1914 as a second line unit.
Record same as 2/5th Bn except was not absorbed in February 1918
9 May 1918 reduced to cadre and transferred to 66th (2nd East Lancashire) Division.
31 July 1918: absorbed into 1/6th Bn and ceased to exist.
Garrison/HQ Whittington Barracks, Lichfield
Nickname The Black Knots
Colours Maroon, black & silver
March God Bless the Prince of Wales (slow march)
The Days we went a Gypsying (quick march)
Anniversary 31 July, Third Battle of Ypres
Disbanded 31 January 1959
Colonel of the Regiment HRH The Prince of Wales
Arthur did not serve overseas but he died while on active service, of pneumonia, less than six months after being posted, on 18 February 1915, at his billet in Harpenden, Herts, at the age of 44.
G Ross, April 2013
“To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Arthur Joseph Clay, Major 6th North Staffordshire Regiment, who died at Harpenden in the service of his Country on February 18th 1915. This Brass is placed by his Brothers. Crown for the valiant: to weary ones rest.
It is recorded in the Burton Mail of 19 February 1915 that Arthur had only a few days before falling ill himself written to the mother of a young soldier who also died of pneumonia in Harpenden. (Private Stanley Bertie Woodward, 2/6th North Staffs Regiment. Died 6 February 1915, son of Mrs. Emily Parker, 212 Stanton Road, Burton upon Trent. Stanley is buried in St. Nicholas’ churchyard, Harpenden).
Note : There are three soldiers buried in this churchyard from the Staffordshire Regiment
From the Medal Roll: Arthur Joseph Clay, N. Staffs Regmt. Rank Major, Dec’d 18.2.15.
The address of his widow is given as Mrs. A. J. Clay, Grangewood, Overseal, Ashby de la Zouch.
Arthur was not awarded any medals as he had not served overseas.
At his funeral service the wishes of the family were that his should not be a military funeral. A service had been held previously at Harpenden, which had been attended by officers and men of Company ‘A’ Reserve Battalion.
Arthur’s body was brought from Harpenden by motor car and arrived at Newborough about midnight, being met by the vicar, the Rev. Thomas Herbert Spinney, Rev. Montague Spinney and the church wardens, Messrs. T. Mellor and T. Waltho and Messrs. T. Bill, W. Craner and the parish clerk S. W. Cobb. The coffin was placed at the chancel steps, draped in the Union Jack, on which was placed the officer’s sword, cap and belt. A wreath from his widow, and another from the children, along with other wreaths were also placed around the coffin. A short service was held
Many parishioners and people from Burton visited the church the next day, when the funeral service was conducted by Rev. T. H. Spinney, assisted by other local clergy and the chaplain of the North Staffs Regiment. Apart from family mourners representatives from Messrs. Bass & Co, the North Staffs Regiment, the Dowager Lady Burton, the Mayor and councilors and many more local notaries attended.
(for more details of mourners and wreathes see the Burton Chronicle, Thursday February 25th 1915)
He was buried at Newborough. (Note – Arthur’s headstone is not one provided by the Commonwealth War Graves Commission as is usually the custom)
Note – this appears to be extracts from Hebrews 12 and Browning.
Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.
One who never turned his back but marched breast forward, never doubted clouds would break, Never dreamed, though right were worsted, wrong would triumph, Held we fall to rise, are baffled to fight better, sleep to wake.
He is remembered on the memorial plaque in All Saint’s, Newborough.
The screen in the church is also in his memory
In loving memory of ARTHUR JOSEPH CLAY Major 6th NORTH STAFFORDSHIRE REGT
WHO DIED AT Harpenden north
on February 18th 1915
In the Newborough School Log book 1915 it is recorded:
“School closed this afternoon for the funeral of Captain A. Clay who died at Harpenden after an attack of pneumonia whilst with his regiments (6 Batt. N. Staffs) He lived formerly at Hollybush Hall Newborough and was buried in the Newborough Churchyard”
He is also remembered at Netherseal –
And at Oxford –
‘Oxford University Roll of Service’ lists all those who served in the FirstWorld War – Clay, A. J., MA (Joined Sept. 1914)
Maj. 2/6th N. Staffordshire Regt. Died on Feb 18, 1915, of illness contracted on active service.
Memorials in Burton Town Hall
Memorials at the National Brewery Centre (Formerly Bass, Ratcliff & Gretton) Burton upon Trent)
JOHN EDWARD KENYON HALL
John Hall was the second of the men named on the Memorial plaque at Newborough to die in the First World War. The plaque states ‘Connected to Newborough’ and John’s connection was through his ancestors. There is no record that he actually lived in Newborough but he may well have visited and been known or known of, there. John’s Great Uncle was Thomas Kirkpatrick Hall, (b 1776 in Marylebone, London) and he and his wife Elizabeth ne Crompton (b1789, probably in Derbyshire) lived at Hollybush Hall. There is a memorial to Thomas and Elizabeth in All Saints Church, Newborough – a plaque on the south wall. This plaque, along with other memorials, was taken from the previous church and installed in the current church in 1901
|‘In memory of Elizabeth daughter of John Crompton Esq of the Lilies Derbyshire and wife of Thomas Kirkpatrick Hall Esq of Hollybush in this parish who died on the 13th of November 1836 in the 26th year of her marriage also 48th year of her age. Most truly beloved and lamented. Also of Thomas Kirkpatrick Hall, born April 9th 1776 died January 3 1865’.
Thomas was Sheriff of Staffordshire in 1817. In the Library of the University of California there are family papers relating to the Halls and amongst them a letter to Thomas Kirkpatrick Hall, at Hollybush, sent from Jamaica and is dated 27 March 1831.
The family names of Kirkpatrick and Kenyon seem to be linked to sugar cane plantations of those names in Jamaica, where the Halls owned several plantations and many slaves.
Thomas Kirkpatrick Hall had a son, Lorenzo Kirkpatrick (John Edward’s Grandfather) born in Bath about 1809. His first wife, Jane Crompton, died months after their marriage in 1835, leaving no children. The Cromptons came from Duffield, and Jane’s father John, was at one time High Sherriff for Derbyshire and a Banker. Lorenzo’s second wife was Emma Selina Mundy, born at Walton on Trent in 1816.
In the 1841 census Lorenzo is listed as being at Milford Hall, Duffield, age 31, with J. B. [John Bell] Crompton and Jane Crompton (both aged 56) Note – it was usual for the 1841 census enumerators to round down adult ages to the nearest 5, however this enumerator (helpfully) has not done this. They had ten servants. By 1851 Lorenzo is married and living at Barton Hall, Barton under Needwood. He is noted as a JP and Captain of the Queen’s Own Yeomanry, and they now have a son and two daughters. In 1861 they are still at Barton Hall, and now with a further two daughters (see tree above). Emma died in 1869. I have been unable to locate the family in the 1871 census but in 1881 Lorenzo and two daughters Kathleen and Jane are visiting Ann Glass, a widow at Warbrook House, Eversley, Hampshire.
Memorials in Newborough Church
|‘In memory of Emma Selina Hall d Ap 24 1869 and of Lorenzo Kirkpatrick Hall d Aug 24 1888 this lecturn is dedicated to the glory of God by Kathleen Mary Parker, her husband William Biddulph Parker and their three other daughters; Jane Emma, Edith Millicent and Evelyn Constance Hall AD 1900’.
|‘To the glory of God and in affectionate memory of their fathers Charles John Clay and Lorenzo Kirkpatrick Hall this organ for many years at Hollybush is presented and enlarged by Arthur Joseph Clay and re-erected in this place by Edward Kirkpatrick Hall September 27 1913’.
|‘AD 1900. The four old bells were recast and the fifth given by Edward Kirkpatrick Hall to the glory of God and in memory of his parents Lorenzo Kirkpatrick and Emma Selina Hall of Hollybush’
John was the third son of Edward Kirkpatrick Hall and Marion Louisa Webb, and born on 16 May? 1878 in Kensington, London.
Edward, who was a barrister and JP, was born at Needwood House (between Hanbury and Tutbury) in 1844 and became a barrister and JP. In the 1851 and 1861 census he lived at Barton Hall. By 1871 he had qualified as a barrister and was living in Hanover Square, London. He married Marion in 1873. Her family, the Webbs, came from Smallwood Manor, Marchington, and Marion’s father Thomas was a great benefactor locally and donated generously to the building of Marchington Woodlands church.
Edward appeared to have lived in London and Scotland, where he was appointed Deputy Lieutenant of Nairnshire. He and Marion both died in Buckinghamshire, he in 1923, she in 1931.
John did not marry. His brothers were Lawrence Kirkpatrick Hall (b1875) – he became an architect and married Ida Caroline Birch. Fitzroy Henry Hall (b1877) also killed in WWI. Fitzroy did not marry. Their sister was Beatrice Marion Hall (b1880). Beatrice married William Finlay, who became 2nd Viscount Finlay of Nairn and their daughter, the Hon. Rosalind Mary, married Vice Admiral John Osler Chattock Hayes, who was a naval hero in WWII.
In the 1881 census Edward & Marion and the four children are living at 11 West Cromwell Road, Kensington, where Edward was a barrister and JP. John was aged 2. They employed a cook, a housemaid and two nurses (with four children under 5 they were probably kept quite busy). 1891 the family lived at 22 Kensington Court, Middlesex. Edward is a Barrister and Lawrence, Fitzroy, John and Beatrice are all with them (plus 8 servants). John was then age 12 and listed as a Scholar.
He was educated at Wixenford (now known as Ludgrove School) near Wokingham. This was an independent preparatory school for boys, founded in 1869.
A King’s Scholar is a foundation scholar (elected on the basis of good academic performance and usually qualifying for reduced fees) of one of certain public schools. These include Eton College.
King’s Scholars. One boarding house, College, is reserved for seventy King’s Scholars, who attend Eton on scholarships provided by the original foundation and awarded by examination each year; King’s Scholars pay up to 90% of full fees, depending on their means. Of the other pupils, up to a third receive some kind of bursary or scholarship. The name “King’s Scholars” is because school was founded by King Henry VI in 1440 and was, therefore, granted royal favour. The original School consisted of only seventy Scholars, half of whom had previously been educated at Winchester College, and all of these boys were educated at the King’s expense.
King’s Scholars are entitled to use the letters “KS” after their name and they can be identified by a black gown worn over the top of their tailcoats, giving them the nickname tugs (Latin: togati, wearers of gowns); and occasionally by a surplice in Chapel. The house is looked after by the Master in College.
He then went on to Trinity College, Oxford. and was later called to the Bar.
In 1901 Edward & Marion and just Beatrice are in lodgings with a Thomas Gosling, at 43 Park Street, St Georges Hanover Square, London. There are many John Halls listed in this census – John may have been in Chatham Barracks, listed as ‘an Infantry Soldier’, he was single and place of birth given as London. Or he could possibly be at Summerleaze, Bude, Cornwall, lodging with William Burnard. This John is listed as John E. K. Hall, born London, age 22 but no occupation given.
The 1911 Census has him as a visitor to William Edward Marshall at Milnthorpe Meads Road, Eastbourne. He is listed as single and a Barrister at Law.
He attended the Officers Training Corps and may have been in the Royal Fusiliers (Pte 1578). On 17 February 1915 was promoted to 2nd Lieutenant with the South Wales Borderers (3rd Battalion) and went overseas on the 24 August 1915. He joined the regiment in the Dardanelles.
The South Wales Borderers
August 1914 : in Tientsin, China. 23 September 1914 : landed at Lao Shan Bay for operations against the German territory of Tsingtao.
4 December 1914 : embarked at Hong Kong, landing at Plymouth 12 January 1915.
12 January 1915 : came under orders of 87th Brigade, 29th Division. Moved to Rugby.
17 March 1915 : embarked at Avonmouth for operations at Gallipoli. Landed at Cape Helles 25 April 1915.
11 January 1916 : moved to Egypt and went on to France, arriving Marseilles 15 March 1916
John was wounded in action 17-18 September 1915 while defending an outpost near to Suvla Bay.
The following, taken from Wikipedia may be relevant to John –
On August 6, 1915, it was the site for the Landing at Suvla Bay by the British IX Corps as part of the August Offensive during the Battle of Gallipoli. The landing and others at various points along the peninsula were designed to capture the peninsula from Turkish troops defending it, and to open the Dardanelles Straits to British warships — thus facilitating a planned naval attack on Constantinople (Istanbul). The Gallipoli campaign ended in failure and high casualties for the British side, which included numbers of Australians, New Zealanders and Newfoundlanders.
As part of the 29th Division, the battalion took part in the Dardanelles Campaign, landing at S Beach, Cape Helles on 25 April 1915. Unlike other beaches, the 2nd South Wales Borderers, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel H.G. Casson, met little opposition and the landing, supported by the battleship HMS Cornwallis, was completed by 7:30am. The 4th (Service) Battalion, commanded by Lieutenant-Colonel F M Gillespie, landed at Anzac on the night of 3/4 August 1915, meeting heavy fire on the beach and suffering serious casualties, including their commanding officer, as they pushed forward on the left of the line. John died of wounds at sea, aboard the hospital ship H. M. Assaye on 22 September 1915, aged 37. He was buried at sea
THE HOSPITAL SHIP HMHS ASSAYE AT ANCHOR
MATRON A. B. [Mary Anne Bessie] POCOCK, who lived in retirement at Chatswood, had a most interesting career and did wonderful work, both in the Great War and in the Boer War.
As a young nurse she went to the Boer War, gained two medals and was mentioned in despatches by Lord Kitchener.
Early in the Great War Matron Pocock was in charge of the hospital ship”Assaye.” which conveyed the wounded from Gallipoli to Egypt and Malta. She was in charge of Mena House Hospital, Marseilles, and hospitals at Boulogne, Wimmereaux, and Armentieres before she took control of several convalescent hospitals in England.
Matron Pocock was twice mentioned in despatches and was decorated by the King at Buckingham Palace with the Royal Red Cross.
[died July 1946 at Grafton, NSW]
John is commemorated on the Helles Memorial, and the Nairn section of the Nairnshire War Memorial as well as here in Newborough.
| John Edward Kenyon Hall 1573
R. Fus. Pte
S. W. Bord 2nd Lieut
Victory Medal S. W. Bord
British S. W. Bord
Star Served in France 24.8.15
Address – E. K. Hall (father)
John is remembered at the Helles Memorial, Turkey, panel 80-84 or 219-220
Will (National Probate Calendar Wills & Adms.
HALL John Edward Kenyon of Kevin, Nairn, North Britain, second Lieutenant 2nd battalion South Wales Borderers died 22 September 1915 at sea, from wounds received in action.
Administration London 20 April (1916) to Edward Kirkpatrick Hall, barrister at law – effects £645.10s.10d.
Notice in the Nairnshire Telegraph 28 September 1915
‘HALL – On September 22nd died of wounds received in Gallipoli, Sept 18, Second-Lieutenant John E. Kenyon Hall, 2nd Battalion South Wales Borderers and Barrister-at-law, aged 37, youngest son of Edward and Marion Hall, Kevin, Nairn.’
His Obituary follows –
‘We regret to learn that Lieut. J. E. K. Hall, of the South Wales Borderers, was wounded in action at Gallipoli on the 18th September and died on the 22nd September from his wounds. He was the youngest son of Mr. E. K. Hall, Kevin, and was a great favourite in Nairn. Much sympathy is felt for Mr & Mrs Hall and family in their great sorrow’
Similar notices appear in the Nairn County Press and Advertiser 2nd October 1915.
Further information appears in the Nairnshire Telegraph 23 November 1915 and the Nairn County Press and Advertiser 27 November 1915 –
‘The late 2nd Lieut J. E. K. Hall, 2 S. Wales Borderers – recent letter from brother officer give details of the Turkish attack when Lieut Hall received his fatal wounds. On the night of September 17-18 he was in command of 50 men who were establishing an outpost 250 yards in advance of our line, when the Turks, who were within bombing distance, attacked in order to prevent the completion of the work. It was while Lieut Hall was encouraging his men that he was hit by two bullets, one in the lung and the other in the shoulder. The officer who was sent up to take his place wrote that it was entirely due to Hall that the outpost was saved. Two days later it was thought that a recovery was probable, but on 22nd he died on the hospital ship ‘Assayé’
THE GALLIPOLI MEMORIAL NATIONAL MEMORIAL ARBORETUM ALWERAS, STAFFORDSHIRE
M. K. ATATURK’S SPEECH OF FORGIVENESS
Ataturk’s Speech about Gallipoli
He made many speeches throughout his life however; one is more famous than the others are. The heartfelt tribute stems from the battle of Gallipoli that started on 25 April 1915. This battle lasted for eight long months.Foreign forces were attempting to capture an area now known as Anzac cove in an effort to pave the way to capturing Constantinople. They failed and thousands of men from both sides lost their lives. It was an ugly battle resulting in the death of husbands, fathers, sons, and brothers. In 1934, Mustafa Kemal Ataturk wrote the famous words that reached out to the mothers of his former enemies.
“Those heroes that shed their blood
And lost their lives.
You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.
Therefore, rest in peace.
There is no difference between the Johnnies
And the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side
Here in this country of ours,
You, the mothers,
Who sent their sons from far away countries
Wipe away your tears,
Your sons are now lying in our bosom
And are in peace
After having lost their lives on this land they have
Become our sons as well”.
Royal Welsh Regiment Memorial
National Memorial Arboretum Alrewas
GUNNER JOHN (OR JACK) JOSEPH HARRISON
1890 – 1916
Jack Joseph Harrison (who was actually registered as John Joseph) was the third man from Newborough to die in the Great War, he was 26 years old. Jack was the youngest son of Joseph Harrison and Anne (or Annie) nee Ford, born in Newborough in 1890. At that time they were living in Duffy (Duffield) Lane, Newborough. Jack’s father was an agricultural labourer, born in Hanbury. He died 14 May 1914, so he never knew that his son Jack was to die less than two years later.
In the 1891 census the family are listed in Duffy Lane. Joseph & Anne have the four youngest children with them, Jack is aged 9 months. In 1901 they are still in Newborough. By the 1911 Census Jack is not with his parents. There is a J. Harrison, Mr., listed at Coal Hill, Newborough in the Census Summary Book, but there are no further details – could this be Jack?
Unfortunately Jack’s service records do not appear to have survived (many records of the First World War were destroyed in the Second war), but from the list of ‘UK SOLDIERS DIED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919’ it appears he was born at Burton on Trent (He was baptised at Newborough) and died on 22 February 1916. His death location is stated as ‘At Sea’. He enlisted at Watford, Hertfordshire and his rank is given as Gunner. He served both in the Royal Horse Artillery and the Royal Field Artillery. His army number was 110486. He was awarded both the Victory and the British Medals
Regulations for the Royal Artillery says that recruits must be at least 5ft 4” tall, and to be awarded medals they must have seen overseas service.
Maybe this is what Jack wore and from the list of equipment men needed he must have had a huge pack to carry
Although there are no surviving service records for Jack, it would appear he died in what was then Mesopotamia, now Iraq, as his name is recorded on the Basra Memorial. The British were keen to secure the oilfields and pipelines near Basra in order to keep the navy supplied with fuel.
In 1916 there were several battles in the area, so Jack could have been in any of them. The three battles prior to his death were at Sheik Sa’ad (7 January), the Wadi (13 January) and the Hanna (21 January). As he was buried at sea he could have been on a hospital ship or troop transporter.
THE BASRA MEMORIAL
From Commonwealth War Graves Commission
Until 1997 the Basra Memorial was located on the main quay of the naval dockyard at Maqil, on the west bank of the Shatt-al-Arab, about 8 kilometres north of Basra.
Because of the sensitivity of the site, the Memorial was moved by presidential decree. The move, carried out by the authorities in Iraq, involved a considerable amount of manpower, transport costs and sheer engineering on their part, and the Memorial has been re-erected in its entirety.
The Basra Memorial is now located 32 kilometres along the road to Nasiriyah, in the middle of what was a major battleground during the first Gulf War.
The Panel Numbers quoted at the end of each entry relate to the panels dedicated to the Regiment served with. NOTE: Whilst the current climate of political instability persists it is extremely challenging for the Commission to manage or maintain its cemeteries and memorials located within Iraq. Alternative arrangements for commemoration have therefore been implemented and a two volume Roll of Honour listing all casualties buried and commemorated in Iraq has been produced. These volumes are on display at the Commission’s Head Office in Maidenhead and are available for the public to view. The Commission continues to monitor the situation in Iraq and once the political climate has improved to an acceptable level the Commission will commence a major rehabilitation project for its cemeteries and commemorations.
The Basra Memorial commemorates more than 40,500 members of the Commonwealth forces who died in the operations in Mesopotamia from the Autumn of 1914 to the end of August 1921 and whose graves are not known. The memorial was designed by Edward Warren and unveiled by Sir Gilbert Clayton on the 27th March 1929.
ROLL OF HONOUR
A two volume Roll of Honour listing all casualties buried and commemorated in Iraq has been produced and are on display at the Commission’s Head Office in Maidenhead. Digital versions of these Rolls of Honour have been produced and are available to view online.
For Jack Harrisons entry
MAJOR HENRY FRANCIS CLIFFORD 1871- 1917
Henry’s connection to Newborough lies in that he married Adelaide Hilda Clay, daughter of Charles John Clay and his second wife Elizabeth Teasdale Smith, of Hollybush Hall, Newborough.
Henry Francis was the son of Henry James Clifford, born on 19th August 1871 at Frampton Court, Frampton on Severn, Gloucestershire. The Clifford family had owned Frampton estate since the 11thC.
With thanks to Rollo & Janie Clifford
Over the years several males marrying into the family changed their name to Clifford.
Henry was educated at Hailbury then Christchurch College, Oxford. He married Adelaide Clay at St. Peter’s, Eton Square, London on 12 November 1913. They had a daughter Henrietta Hilda Elizabeth in 1917, their only child, born after Henry was killed.
Henry served with the Gloucestershire Imperial Yeomanry and was attested 3 January 1900 aged 28. He fought in the South African Campaign (1900-1901) (the Boer War) and was awarded the South Africa Queen’s Medal with 3 clasps (Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittebergen). He was wounded in the Orange Free State and as his father had died, Henry returned to Frampton to run his estate.
At the outbreak of WWI he joined the Gloucester Yeomanry with the rank of Major in ‘B’ Squadron, 1st Royal Gloucestershire Hussars. He was then in his 40s.
ROYAL GLOUCESTERSHIRE HUSSARS 1914 – 18
The Order to mobilise was given at 7pm on August 4th 1914. They joined the 1st South Midland Brigade with the Warwickshire and Worcestershire Yeomanry, based Newbury Racecourse. The Brigade then moved to the east coast of England in case of a German invasion. In September a second Regiment of the R.G.H. was raised, and later a third. April 1915 the R.G.H. were ordered to overseas service, but instead of France they were going to Gallipoli. On April 11th they embarked on the ‘Saturnia’ and ‘Minneapolis’.
‘A’ squadron: Major A.J.Palmer, 7 Officers, 134 O.R., 133 horses, 14 mules, 3 vehicles.
‘B’ Squadron: Major H.F.Clifford, 6 Officers, 134 O.R., 131 horses, 14 mules, 3 vehicles.
On April 11th they embarked for Gallipoli. The squadron was then engaged in the Battle of Rafa, which cost the British 71 dead and 415 wounded. The Turks lost 200 dead and 1,635 captured.
Henry died on 9 January 1917, in Rafa, aged 45 and is buried in Kantara War Memorial Cemetery, plot C40
Photo Ralph McLean
Location: College Lawn (near the Cathedral), Gloucester.
Henry is also remembered at Christchurch College, Oxford.
HENRY FRANCIS CLIFFORD – 19.08.71 – 09.01.1917
John’s name is the fifth to appear on the Newborough war memorial – the fifth man from Newborough to die in WWI.
John was the eldest son of Henry Mousley and Annie Laurie (or Laura) Haywood.
Henry was a general labourer, born at Church Broughton and between 1871 and 1881 he moved with his parents to Newborough End (where his father, another John, was noted as a farmer of 15 acres). Henry’s wife Annie was born in 1876 at Stonehouse in Devon. She apparently moved to Newborough sometime between 1881 and 1894 when she married Henry.
John was born in Newborough in 1898. He had 13 siblings – five sisters and
eight brothers, the youngest was born the year John died (1917) and was also called John.
John (the 1898 one) was listed in the 1901 census, aged 3 and then again in the 1911 census, aged 13 and at school.
He served as a Private in the 110th Bn. Machine Gun Corps (Infantry) in France. Unfortunately, his army records do not seem to have survived.
MACHINE GUN CORPS
|110th MG Company
|Formed Grantham. Moved to France and joined 37th Division, 4 March 1916. Moved to 21st Division, 7 July 1916. Moved into No 21 Bn, MGC 24 February 1918.
John died in action aged just 19 years at the Battle of Arras
He is buried at Douchy-les-Ayette, British Cemetery.
According to the UK Army Register of Soldiers’ Effects John’s army number was 22237 and at the time of his death £7. 4s.7d. was owed to him. This was paid to his father Henry on 17.11.1917 and later a further sum of £12. 0s. 0d. also to his father in 1919.
John would have been awarded the Victory Medal and the British War Medal
Photo from the War Graves Photographic Project
Hyde Park, London
Photo Brendan Routledge, National Education Network and The Long, Long Trail
PRIVATE GEORGE BANKS 1894-1917
The memorial in All Saints church, Newborough lists the nine men who died in WWI, but it says ‘connected to’ the village. For a long time George Banks remained a mystery.
In all the census (1841- 1911) for Newborough there appears to be no Banks family recorded, nor in neighbouring parishes. He may of course have been in the village inbetween census, or was George’s connection as a tradesman? Maybe a builder or casual worker, known in the village but not living here?
Eventually a connection was found through his mother’s family of Upton. Joanna Upton, born in Hanbury in 1863 had married an Arthur Banks, and they had a son George. There were some Uptons in Newborough listed in the 1911 census. Were they related and was this where ‘our’ George came into the story?
Arthur Banks became a policeman, living first at Wolstanton and later in Stoke on Trent. Arthur and Joanna had two sons –
Arthur (b 1892) and George (b 1894). George is still with his parents, and brother Arthur in 1911. He is now aged 17 and works as a gilder in the pottery trade.
He enlisted at Burton into the 2/6th Battalion, Prince of Wales’ Own (West Yorkshire Regiment) His number was 242100 and he was a Private. He gave his place of residence as Newborough. He was awarded two medals, the Victory and the British.
Image Q2903 courtesy of the Imperial War Museum, with thanks
Image courtesy of the excellent Leo Reynolds collection at the flickr website, with my thanks.
He was killed in action, Western European Theatre (France & Flanders) on 3 May 1917. He was most probably killed during the battle of Arras between April and May 1917.George has no known grave but his name is recorded on bay four of the Arras Memorial, in the Faubourg-d’Amiens cemetery, at Arras.
Two other Newborough men, were also at Arras. John Mousley, killed the same day as George and John Rushton, who served with the Lancashire Fusiliers, but he survived, although injured and was captured and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner.
COMMANDER FITZROY HENRY HALL – 1877 – 1917
Fitzroy was born 7 February 1877 in Kensington, London. He was the second son of Edward Kirkpatrick Hall and Marion (nee Webb). Edward was born at Needwood House, Tutbury/Hanbury area and once lived at Barton Hall, Barton under Needwood, and his father Lorenzo Hall lived at Hollybush Hall, Newborough –hence the connection to the village. (Marion Webb came from Smallwood Manor, Marchington Woodlands).
Edward and Marion had four children – Lawrence Kirkpatrick (b 1875), Fitzroy Henry (b1877), John Edward Kenyon (b 1878) and Beatrice Marion (b1880). John was killed in the First World War whilst serving with the Welsh Fusiliers. He was injured at Gallipoli and died 22 September 1915, and was buried at sea. Beatrice later became Viscountess Finlay.
By the age of 14 Fitzroy was already a Naval Cadet and in 1901, at the age of 24, is Lieutenant on board H. M. Mohawk at Sheerness in Kent. Ten years later he is on H. M. St. George, and has now risen to the rank of Senior Lieutenant.
Naval records Kew (ADM196/44) has the following information in his service record –
Born & February 1877
Entered service 15 January 1891
Attained rank as Sub-Lieutenant 15 April 1897
Attained rank as Lieutenant 31 December 1899
Recorded to have served on 15 separate ships up to 13 January 1915.
Commander Fitzroy Henry Hall
IWM Collections (HU 122704):
The following obituary appeared in a Scottish newspaper (where his parents were then living) –
His death notice in the same edition records the following –
The Nairnshire Roll of Honour for the Great War 1914-1921 also records his details. K. A. M Nisbet SGS Edinburgh (2009)
Hall: Fitzroy Henry. Commander Royal Navy HMS Newmarket.
The second son of Edward Kilpatrick (sic) Hall, Barrister at Law, and Deputy Lieutenant of Nairnshire, Kevin, Nairn and Marion Hall nee Webb …….. He was placed in command of HMS Newmarket on 13 January 1915 and appointed acting Commander on the same date. He was killed in action on 17 July 1917….. HMS Newmarket was a command vessel for the fleet of minesweepers operating in the Adriatic and was armed with two 14 pounders. On 25th May 1915 the vessel, which was under Commander Hall’s command, was instrumental in the rescuing of the crew of HMS Triumph, which had been sunk. HMS Newmarket went missing on 16 July 1917 in the Eastern Mediterranean and it is not known how the vessel was sunk. He is commemorated on the Nairn Section of the Nairnshire War Memorial
(Ramage p4) 70 men died with the sinking of HMS Newmarket
His name, along with that of his brother Henry is recorded on the Nairnshire War Memorial in Nairn.
The Nairn war memorial is a tall freestone fluted classical column with Roman ionic capital, set on an unusual octagonal pedestal which rests on a low plinth. A wreath, thistle, rose and shamrock are carved in relief around the capital.
The monument is located in gardens at the junction of Cawdor Street and Millbank Crescent.
Photo – Scottish Military Research Group – jamiemcginlay
Fitzroy is commemorated on the Portsmouth Naval Memorial, panel 24, son of Edward and Marion Hall of Kevin, Nairn.
By one of those strange quirks of fate, Fitzroy’s brother Henry was also buried at sea, in the Agean.
GEORGE BEESTON – 1893-1918
George Beeston is the last name on the Newborough War Memorial, and the last man connected to the village to die in the War.
He was baptized on the 6 August 1893 at Newborough. His parents were John Beeston and Hannah Elizabeth Kidd.
John & Hannah were married at Newborough on 11 February 1892. John was then a cowman, living at Byrkley Lodge, Anslow, aged 21. His father was Joseph Beeston, a labourer. Hannah, also 21, was from Newborough, her father George Kidd, also a labourer.
George had a younger brother Jack (sometimes John), baptized 21 February 1897 at Newborough.
As a young boy George did not appear to always live with his parents. In the 1901 census George, aged 8, is living with his aunt Fanny (Beeston) who is now married to George Andrews, at Wellington Street, Burton Extra.
And in 1911 he is living in and working for Richard Stonier at Hanbury Park as a general farm hand.
He served with the 19th Battalion Ammunition Co Royal Field Artillery as a driver. His army number was 31296. George died in Newborough, possibly from pneumonia, on 29 August 1918, aged 25 and is buried in Newborough churchyard. He has a Commonwealth War Graves Commission head stone.
He was awarded all three medals – the Star, the British and the Victory. As he served in France from 1915 he must have seen some of the bloodiest early battles, earning the nick name of ‘The Old Contemtibles’ (the British Expeditionary Force).
It should be remembered that recipients of the Star medal were responsible for assisting the French to hold back the German army while new recruits could be trained and equipped. Collectively, they fully deserve a great deal of honour for their part in the first sixteen weeks of the Great War. This included the battle of Mons, the retreat to the Seine, the battles of Le Cateau, the Marne, the Aisne and the first battle of Ypres. There were approximately 378,000 1914 Stars issued.
George was unmarried. His brother John (Jack) also served in the First World War.
The inscription reads –
“In proud remembrance of the forty-nine thousand & seventy-six of all ranks of the Royal Regiment of Artillery who gave their lives for king and country in the Great War 1914–1919” Wikipedia
George Beeston’s Commonwealth War gravestone, in Newborough churchyard.
HAROLD JAMES HAYWOOD – 1896-1918
The Haywood family have proved something of a mystery, in that at sometimes they used the surname MOORE.
Harold is apparently the son of John Moore Haywood and Elizabeth Manning. Harold was baptized in Newborough the 18th April 1897 and his father recorded as John Moore Haywood. Also baptized at Newborough are Harold’s siblings, Thomas George (1888), Mary Elizabeth (1889) and Edith Margaret (1892). All these children were registered with the surname Haywood.
John Moore Haywood was born in Newborough but his wife Elizabeth came from Kilkhampton in Cornwall. They were married in 1873 in Cornwall and had four children born in Devon. As John Moore Haywood was listed in the 1891 census as a pensioner, Royal Navy, presumably he met Elizabeth in Devon/Cornwall. (he was possibly based at Plymouth)
In 1901 there are only the four Newborough children living at home in Newborough but all of them, including mother Elizabeth are listed as Moores, along with father John Moore, aged 60, now a labourer on the roads.
In 1911 Harold is at Bishops Hill Farm, Newborough, (then in Marchington & Draycott parish) in the household of William Hollis. Harold Haywood is aged 14 and a Farm Servant. His mother Elizabeth is living in Newborough and has reverted back to the surname Haywood. She states that she is now a widow, aged 61 and has had 9 children, 7 of whom are still alive. (only daughter Mary and a grandson Willie are still at home with Elizabeth). John Moore Haywood died somewhere between 1901 and 1911, possibly 1905.
Harold served as a private with the Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry 9th Btn. Service No 22088. He served mostly in France & Flanders after enlisting at Doncaster and was awarded the Victory, British and Star medals. His service records have not survived, but to have been awarded the Star he must have served overseas in 1915.
Cap badge of the KOYLI
(a French horn and white rose)
The King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
9th (Service) Battalion
Formed at Pontefract in September 1914 as part of K3 and came under command of 64th Brigade in 21st Division. Moved to Berkhamsted and then to Halton Park (Tring) in October 1914, going on to billets in Maidenhead in November. returned to Halton Park in April 1915 and went on to Witley in August.
September 1915 : landed in France
West Vlaanderen – Belgium
The largest Commonwealth War Graves Commission cemetery in the world. It is now the resting place of more than 11,900 servicemen of the British Empire from the First World War.
Almost all of the graves here were brought into the cemetery as a result of battlefield clearance. Bodies were brought here from nine smaller cemeteries and also as they were found individually or collectively on the battlefields. The rows are regular, the unknowns many. Just under 12,000 men lie here, of whom 8,300 are unidentified.